Plumbing problems in the home are never fun, especially when they happen suddenly and require emergency attention. While some jobs will always be too big for simple DIY fixes and require a professional plumber, there are some common plumbing problems and small issues that, with a little knowledge, you can diagnose and resolve.
Uh oh… My Sink is Clogged
Clogged sinks and drains are simply a fact of life and at some point, like right now since you’re reading this article, you’re likely to find yourself scouring the internet searching for ways to fix a clogged drain. While your first instinct may be to call a professional plumber to fix it, when your sink or shower suddenly stops draining the solution is often a quick and fairly painless process that you can likely manage on your own.
Generally, clogged drains are the result of built-up residue or debris and foreign objects getting stuck in the drain pipe, making it impassable. These expert tips can get your clogged bathroom sink, shower drain, or other clogged home plumbing drain working like new again.
- Drain Cleaner — Available at your local hardware, home improvement, or grocery store, drain cleaners can often resolve a clogged sink with minimal effort and cost. If you believe the clog isn’t too severe or you prefer a non-chemical solution, you can try pouring vinegar down the drain followed by baking soda. This home remedy causes a fizzing reaction that looks a lot like carbonation and it can be effective against some clogs.
- Plunger — Sometimes the best solution is the easiest as well. While your regular household plunger will be effective against many clogged drains, there are mini-plungers available that are designed for clogged sinks, showers, and bathtub drains that may be more effective than your standard toilet-sized plunger.
- Drain Snake — This is a small piece of plastic that is inserted into the drain and is a very simple tool that can be used to dislodge the clog. Drain snakes have small “teeth” on the sides in order to provide resistance against hair and debris that could be causing the clog.
The ____ Won’t Stop Running
That annoying drip… drip… drip of a leaky faucet can be annoying as well as affect your pocketbook over time. Before working on any faucet, you need to know what kind it is and ensure you complete these important steps:
- Shut off the water under the sink.
- Close the sink drain by covering it with a cloth or rag in order to catch dropped parts.
- Designate an area to lay out your sink parts in order of removal.
- Use a small layer of duct tape on the jaws of your wrench to avoid scratching the sink fixture.
- Use a soft scouring pad and distilled white vinegar to remove any mineral deposits on the faucet parts.
Do I Need an Expert Plumber?
In Arvada, CO a small plumbing issue can quickly turn into a large problem and issues that seem small at first glance, can be much more involved than you’d ever expect. When you need expert plumbers that are fully licensed — you need My Arvada Plumber.
Of course there are many plumbing projects around the home that you can take care of fairly easily, but when the project “seems” to be difficult or too big, it’s probably time to contact an expert. Don’t take chances with your home or your wallet, My Arvada Plumber is available anytime you need us.